What is SLAS?
- SLAS-STATE LEVEL ACHIEVEMENT SURVEY
- It is a study on learning levels of children In class III &VIII in Andhra Pradesh.
- SLAS was started in Andhra Pradesh from 2012-13 onwards under SIEMAT & SCERT(State Institute of Educational Management and Training & State Council for Educational Research and Training) and conducting survey every year.
Objectives of the Study:
- To study the achievement levels in terms of prescribed academic standards in curricular subjects among the children of classes III & VIII in Primary Schools,Upper Primary Schools&High Schools.
- To study the effect of background variables such as Home, Teacher and School on the achievement levels.
- To study the achievement levels with reference to medium of instruction; location of schools; school management; different social groups; gender
RESEARCH DESIGN & METHODOLOGY:
- Schools are selected in the district through Stratified Proportionate Random Sampling. (as it was done in the previous year 2013-14)
- No. of Districts considered for the Study: All 13 Districts
- All Revenue divisions is to be selected from 13 Districts
- Two are three mandals is to be selected from each Revenue Division
- Further care is taken that the sample well representative of a wide range of students, belonging to different locations, school managements , Area (Rural,Urban &Tribal and social groups and schools enrolments.
Sample of Schools
- From each Identified Mandal
– Primary Schools : 1
– Upper Primary Schools : 1
– High School : 1
- Primary Schools : 424 (68%) Class III
- Upper Primary Schools : 121 (19%) Class III&VIII
- High School : 80 (13%)
- Urdu Schools from 5 districts : 25
(2- P.S, 2-UPS, 1- HS from each district :5)
- Total Schools : 600 + 25+625
On an average each district (40 to 60) Schools including PS,UPS&HS will be Selected Proportionately Stratified Random Sampling.
The sample of children considered for the study:
- The children’s sample is 25 will be selected from each selected class (Class III&VIII)
- Minimum sample children in each class is not less than 10
- If more than 25 students in the class, only 25 students will be selected randomly.
- For Class III(PS&UPS): 13350, for Class VIII(upper primary section &HS; 5500, Total 18850 children’s are to be selected approximately.
- Curricular Subjects considered for the Study: PS (Class III) & UPS(Classes III): Telugu, English, Maths and EVS
- UPS & HS (Class VIII): Telugu, English, Maths, Science and Social studies
Administering of Tools
- CRPs will be selected as Field investigator in each school.
- CRPs will be administering the test in the assigned school by way of following the instructions given to them during training.
- CRPs have to be selected out of their cluster area for the purpose of administering.
- After completing the administering the test, the CRPs have to return the material to concerned MEOs as per the instruction provided to them during training.
- Due care is taken to execute the test for CWSN children going by the categories of disabilities: scribes for blind children, provision of supportive facilities and execution of separate test booklets.
- Professors/ Lecturers from SCERT will be drafted as observer for the smooth conduct of testing tools.
Time table for administering the Tools• A team CRPs will visit each school for two days and administer the test booklets is follows.( For PS: one CRP for class III) (for UPS: One CRP for class III and one CRP for class VIII), (for HS one CRP for class VIII)
|SLAS 2014-15 TIME TABLE|
Evaluation of Tools, Data Interpretation and Report Writing
- After completion of the administering the tools the DPOs/AMOs will be collected the tools from all MEOs for scrutinized the Data.
- The testing tools are to be scrutinized and analyzed with the help of DIET faculty and MRGs/DRPs at the District as per instruction given in the training.
- State level Data Entry and valuation of test items to be held at the Krishna district through offline application under supervision of SCERT and pedgagogy of SSA
Subject wise, Class wise, School wise and Question wise Analysis
- Subject wise, Class wise, School wise and Question wise Analysis should be completed at state level with the help of DIET Faculty.
- The above analysis is to be consolidated by SCER and SSA at state level with the help of SRGs and Professors from SCERT.
- The IRT analysis is to be done by the help of Research Consultant, NCERT, New Delhi